impressions art awards 2013
Proudly presented by Arts Council Nelson
14 September - 5 October
Refinery Artspace, Nelson
Impressions Art Awards is now open to all New Zealand Citizens and permanent residents.
Impressions welcomes these new sponsors whose involvement has made it possible to open entry to artists throughout New Zealand: -
- Tony Allain Artist
- Lisa Grennell Artist
- Neville Parker Artist
- Icon Gallery
- Jill Vollmer Accounting
- Refinery Artspace
- Arts Council Nelson
Artist Awards: -
- Impressions Art Award ~ $2,000
- Arts Council Nelson / Icon Gallery Award ~ $500
- Jill Vollmer Accounting Award ~ $250
- Lisa Grennell Artist Award ~ $250 awarded to the best entry by an artist residing in the Top of the South Island which has not won another prize in these Awards.
- Tony Allain Artist Peoples Choice Award ~ $250
- Refinery Artspace Arts Student Award ~ Comprising of a fully funded solo exhibition at the Refinery Artspace awarded to an arts student currently on a course of study towards a NCEA qualification.
Artworks entered must be two dimensional painted, drawn, mixed media or original print works only. There is no size reastriction on entries.
Quick Check Calendar
- CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES 23 August. Initial selection advice by 30 August.
- RECEIVING DAY FOR SELECTED ARTWORKS 9 September for both courier and local hand deliveries. Final selection advice on 11 September.
- GALA OPENING & AWARDS PRESENTATION Saturday 14 September at 4pm. All entrants, Arts Council Nelson Members, Impressions Art Club Members and selected guests are invited to attend.
- AWARDS EXHIBITION at the Refinery Artspace, 3 Halifax Street, Nelson. Open to the public 14 September - 5 October.
- LAST VOTING DAY for the TONY ALLAIN ARTIST PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD Wednesday 2 October.
- ANNOUNCEMENT and PRESENTATION of the TONY ALLAIN ARTIST PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD at the Refinery Artspace, Saturday 5 October at 1pm. Everyone is invited to attend.
- COLLECTION OF UNSOLD WORKS. Artists may collect any unsold works after the Peoples Choice Announcments. Alternatively, unsold works may be up-lifted on Monday 7 October between 10am - noon. Work being returned by courier will be despatched ASAP that week.
Open to all New Zealand Citizens and permanent residents. However, it should be noted that the Lisa Grennell Artist Award is open only to artists residing in the Top of the South Island (Nelson, Tasman and Marlborough Districts) and that the Refinery Artspace Arts Student Award is open only to arts students currently on a course of study toward a NCEA qualification.
Two dimensional painted, drawn, mixed media or original print works only. There is no size restriction on entries.
Closing date for Entries
Deliver or mail Entries to Arts Council Nelson, 3 Halifax St, PO Box 566, Nelson 7040 by the closing date. No late entries will be accepted.
Initial selection advice will be notified by 30 August. Short listed entrants will then be invited to submit actual art works by 9 September for the final process of selection which will predominantly be determined by the limitations of available gallery space.
The initial selection of work is by a single hard copy photograph of the entry only - please ensure a good quality image is submitted. Completed entry forms must be accompanied by an Artist statement, entry fee (unless previously paid online) and an A4 size hard copy photograph of each work entered. Photocopies are not acceptable. Each image must have the artists name, work title, medium and size clearly labelled on the reverse. Photographs will not be returned unless a SAE is enclosed for this purpose. They may however be collected from the Arts Council Nelson Office by 31 October 2013.
Artwork must be available for sale and is subject to a commission of 35% + GST. Insurance of work both in transit and for the duration of the exhibition is the responsibility of the artist.
The organisers reserve the right to use images of selected works, with artist acknowledgement, for promotional purposes of these and future art awards.
Entry Fee: $30 per artist
Artists may submit one or two works, which ,ust be original to the entrant, have been created within the last two years, have not been completed as part of a class, nor have been previosly exhibited. Arts Council Nelson Members and Impressions Art Club Members may enter three works. Fees are non-refundable regardless of work possibly not being accepted for the final show.
Download the 2013 Impression Art Awards Entry Form [550KB PDF ]