Nelson/Waimea Art Class Directory
Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology
Arts and Media Courses
Bachelor of Arts & Media, Diploma in Arts & Media and Certificate in Arts and Media.
- Website: www.nmit.ac.nz
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 0800 422 733
- Postal address: Private Bag 19, Nelson 7042
- NMIT is located at 322 Hardy St, Nelson and 85 Budge St, Blenheim
Art of Creation with Catherine Kent
Watercolour Workshop "Landscape or Still Life" with Beryl Yeoman
Hosted by Wakefield/Brightwater Art Group and funded by TDC Tasman Communities Scheme.
This workshop covers a short history of watercolour painting, types of brushes and paper, stretching paper, painting techniques, textures, layering colour, how to paint white without using white paint, applying a straight and graduated wash, working wet-on-wet etc.
Date: Thursday 16th May 2013
Time: 9am - 12pm. Please be at the hall at 8.50am for a prompt start at 9am.
Venue: Wakefield Hall
Cost: Members $10, non-members $15. Morning tea is provided.
Materials to bring: pencil and rubber, a board if you have one, a jar for water, white palette or plate, sketching paper, tissues/towels, salt, gladwrap and flour, a photo of a landscape and/or bring an A4 sketch of a landscape you wish to paint showing light source and colours etc.
Materials supplied: No 6 & 10 round brush, 300gsm paper and watercolour paint, salt crystals and flowers.
To book, email Sandra at email@example.com or phone 03 541 9615
Creative Journeys 2013 Programme
In the next month or so there are 3 new workshops for you (just click on the links for more information) - a one day workshop with David Ryan on Portrait Painting on Sunday 17 March, an Exploring Colour Weekend Intensive with David on 23/24 March and a weekend workshop with Ronnie Martin on creating wonderful Handmade Journals on 6/7April.
Also on offer is a range of Painting classes and workshops with David Ryan as well a variety of Textile and Mixed Media workshops during 2013.
Studio Practice Mentor Program
Create a transition to a new phase of artistic and creative practice.
Who is this program designed for ?
- The established artist needing further direction.
- The serious amateur wanting to make the next step.
- Someone coming back to art making after a long interval of time.
- Graduates of art school who have “slipped through the system.”
- Those who have an irregular studio practice.
- Or if you are just interested in: art, painting, draftsmanship, textiles, design,
- Suitable for medium levels of ability.
- Gain confidence.
- Develop clear strategies.
- Develop the means to examine and define your unique skills.
- Develop your sense of place and purpose as an artist.
- Removing negative attitudes to your practice.
- Removing obstacles to motivation.
- Build a greater understanding of contemporary art.
- Build a better and improved, consistent studio practice.
- Creating opportunities for yourself and your work.
- Creative support and encouragement.
- Develop a clear understanding of the practical and formal aspects of art making.
Details About the Program
- This is an opportunity to become immersed in painting and forge your own artistic direction and con?dence and develop your unique intuitive skills.
- This course has developed over a long period of time and came out of a need to question the value and validity of the conventional art school system.
- The course provides everyone interested in and working in painting and art making with the intellectual and practical tools to develop their skills.
David Ryan has worked with thousands of students, and with his own discoveries as an artist and art educator it has resulted in this open-ended method to inspire, encourage and develop each students individual aims.
The greater learning experience realized in these classes comes about as a hands on discovery that you will share with all the other participants.
The crux of the Studio Practice Mentoring Program is to get everyone immediately started with a regular studio practice and to identify the thought patterns and habits that have been standing in our way, whether this is a lack of confidence, lack of time or missing skill sets.
This Program allows you as a participant to discover for yourself the secrets and magic of art making and your relationship to it and how and why we humans respond to it.
Modeled on a “studio practice style” of teaching with a strong practical and theory based guide to the formal aspects of art making and the medium of painting.
- Exploring guides to identifying individual aims.
- Developing concepts.
- Working with set projects.
- Sourcing images, developing your images and bringing a work to completion.
- Establishing new methods of work practice.
- Gain the necessary set of skills relating to spatial awareness, shape and direction, colour direction, colour and tonal space, traditional compositional structure and a myriad of traditional formal skills.
- Develop the experience of the everyday as visually extraordinary and how to translate this into a clearly de?ned art work.
- Improving insight and perception.
- The nature of representation.
- Explore ways to gain better observational skills.
- Researching and brainstorming ideas.
- Develop the ability for critical analysis.
- Basic critical theory.
- Understanding the creative process and procedures.
- Commitment to practice.
- Strategies to overcoming inspiration blocks.
- Developing ideas and concepts to create a body of work.
- Organising time, priorities, studios and workspaces.
- Individual and group tutoring.
- Demonstrations and techniques.
- Discussion and critical analysis.
- Friendly relaxed environment.
One Year Program
The Studio Practice Mentoring Program is a 36 week program, This course is structured with weekly classes plus two full day workshops each term. Thursday Evenings 7.30 – 9.30 pm.
- Term 1 10 weeks, 8 x Evenings plus 2 Sundays., 7 Feb. - 14 April. Cost. $390
- Term 2 10 weeks, 8 x Evenings plus 2 Sundays, 9 May - 14 July. Cost. $390
- Term 3 8 weeks, 6 x Evenings plus 2 Sundays, 1 August - 22 September. Cost. $340
- Term 4 8 weeks6 weeks plus 2 Sundays, 17 October - 8 December. Cost. $340
Venue: 25 Mount Street, Nelson
How To Enroll: Contact Jo Kinross on 03 5466791 or email jokin@ xtra.co.nz
Motueka Arts Council Workshop Programme
1. Mixing it Up - with Adi Tait BFA(Hons)
Ever wondered what to do with that gorgeus piece of fabric or those random bits and pieces stored in that shoebox? Now's your chance to give all those lovelies a new life and create your own masterpiece incorporating collage elements, acrylic paint, pastel etc. Start collecting now - anything from wallpaper to shells, dried flowers to old cards. Also materials - primed card or board, paints, pastels, brushes, containers.
Tutor: Adi Tait BFA(hons)
Date: Tuesday 10th & Wednesday 11th July.
Time: 10am - 3pm
Venue: Mapua Boat Club on the wharf.
2. Life Drawing with Ronette Pickering
Workshops cover basic drawing skills such as line, tone, form and space as well as more expressive approaches using the human figure as the subject. The workshops cater for both experienced students and those who have not done much drawing at all. You will develop drawing skills using a range of media and tools to refine your observational skills. It is Ronette's belief that everyone can learn to draw.
Date: Mondays 1st, 8th, 15th July
Time: 10am - 4pm
Venue: Community House
3. The Joy of Painting in Pastels with Judith March
Escape the winter for 2 says with Judith, and share her secrets of painting in pastel. She'll demonstrate, pass on lots of tips and techniques and give heaps of personal assistance. Everyone is welcome, whatever your level of experience. Once enrolled you will be sent a list of requirements.
Date: 29/30 June
Time: 9am - 3pm
Venue: Boat Club, Mapua Wharf
4. Masks with Adi Tait MFA(Hons)
With the director of the Nelson Masked Parade create a sophisticates horned mask from a template, or design your own. Please if you can, bring 2-3 bags of feathers (1 colour - short and long lengths., 3 ostrich or peacock feathers if you have them, scissors, pens, sellotape, hot glue gun if you have one. The tutor will bring cardboard, muslin, hot glue, masking tape, paint and extra feathers, under masks, and PVA glue.
Date: 7 & 8 August
Time: 9am - 3pm
Venue: Mapua Boat Club, Mapua Wharf
Community Education Classes
Waimea College Community Education classes - Term One.
Painting for All Levels: Monday 6.00 – 9.00pm. (6 weeks)
For beginners through to experienced painters. Choose your medium to paint in. Informal lessons working ‘one to one’ to further develop and explore your own subject, style and choice of media.
Tutor: Dorothy Meharry. 18 February – 25 March
Afternoon Painting – No Experience Required!
Wednesday afternoons 12.45 pm – 2.45 pm (5 weeks)
At the Richmond Library
Learn to paint in either acrylic or watercolour. Have fun discovering your artistic ability. You will be given a list of what to bring with you.
Tutor: Dorothy Meharry 27 February – 27 March
Students are encouraged to bring.
Paints – acrylics or watercolours
· Cadmium yellow light or Lemon yellow hue (cool)
· Cadmium yellow medium or medium yellow hue (warm)
· Cadmium red or Scarlet red hue (warm)
· Alizarin crimson or Red hue (cool)
· French Ultramarine blue or Blue hue (warm)
· Cerulean or Cobalt blue or Blue hue (cool)
· Titanium white or Flake white or any good white cover, even gesso primer will do
· Lamp or Ivory Black or any black hue.
Optional: the Earth colours - yellow ochre, raw or burnt sienna & burnt umber.
Bring a range of brushes in synthetic bristle.
A ‘flat’1-inch and half-inch, a ‘bright’ #10, a ‘round’ #9 and a rigger #2 would be a good start.
To enrol or make enquiries contact http://comed.nayland.school.nz or Ph 547 9769
Glazing with Paint
Discover the limitless powers of traditional and modern glazing techniques—translucent layering of paint to achieve colour and light interaction in a dynamic mix of paint on canvas. A fun, creative learning environment suitable for beginner and intermediate artists using both acrylics and fast drying oils.
Tutor: Larisse Hall , Monday 18 Feb. 6.30—8.30pm, 5 weeks, $75
This fun, confidence building course uses colourful acrylics to produce work based around classic kiwiana images. Materials required.
Tutor: Pammie Moonlight, Tuesday 19 Feb. 7-9pm, 4 weeks, $65
A course for beginners exploring several printmaking techniques. Produce mono print, collagraphs, other mixed media works and be shown how to mount finished pieces. $15 material costs payable to tutor.
Tutor: Colleen Dallimore, Sat 9—Sunday 10 March, 9.30am—4pm. $95
Impressions Studio Art Classes and Workshops
These classes and workshops are listed under Impressions Art Workshops on the page menu.
- Seriously Fun Watercolours Course
- The Leisure Artist
An expanded programme of 20 different workshops and courses is planned for 2013 and the programme is listed on the Impressions Art Workshops Page, or a booklet can be collected in-store.
Life Painting Class with Caroline Jones BFA, MFA.
A new life painting class is being offered in Term 2 which will comprise of 78 sessions, from 9.30am - 1.00pm on Tuesday (or possibly Wednesday) mornings. They will be held at Caroline's tutoring studio in Marsden VAlley, Stoke.
The class has a maximum of 7 students and at present there are only 2 places available. Ph 543 3733 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Caroline is a professional painter and she recommends that students for this class have some painting or life drawing experience.
Tony Allain - Painting Workshops in Oils or Pastel
Class is limited to 4 only to allow for individual attention.
BYO materials. Easels etc supplied
Contact Tony for details and to book your place; non-refundable deposit required.
Ph 03 545 1264
Art Classes for Adults
Classes are held in Wakefield: -
For details of the classes available, contact Rose Shepard, Email: email@example.com
Term 2 Classes - 7th May - 11 July 2013
- Tuesday Mornings 9am - 12pm. Recreational Painting, all mediums
- Tuesday Evenings 7pm - 9.30pm, Innovative Painting, all mediums
- Wednesday Mornings 9am - 12pm, Oil Painting, all levels
- Wednesday Afternoons, 1pm - 4pm, Recreational Painting, all mediums
Please phone or email for details and costs. I am open to requests for specific tutoring inall mediums although are taught at the beginner level. Innovative classes are incusive of all styles of mediums but the oil specific is intentional for those working in a conventional way. The maximum student per class is five.
All classes are held at 137 McShane Road, Richmond.
Phone 544 2244 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sally Barron - Focus on Drawing
Beginners Welcome. Classes held at 27 Examiner St, Nelson on Thursday mornings between 9.15am and 12.15pm.
For information and registrations, email email@example.com or phone 03 548 0662.
Dana Rose BA, Dip.Tchg
Dana Rose is a professional artist whose artwork has won several art awards in the past decade.
- Classes in all visual media and techniques, (may include some pottery in 2013);
- Small groups where students receive individual attention, attain excellent skills, expand their imagination, achieve deep satisfaction and laugh a lot;
- Sunday workshops (10am - 4pm) and Art Weekends;
- Attractive gift vouchers for classes.
There is an extensive library of art books and magazines which students are encouraged to make use of. Many demonstrations are given and once skills are gained, individual interests and expression are nurtured. "A glorious, warm-hearted bunch of students attend my classes and have a lot of fun," she says. "Come join us!"
Fee - $180 for 10 weeks / $20 per class (includes drinks and often home baking)
For firm details of 2013 classes, contact Dana at Ph 021 051 3894, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ross Whitlock MFA Hons., BA, ATCL, Dip. Ed, Dip. Tch., TTC.
Direct Painting Plein Air
Half, full day and weekend Direct Painting Plein Air workshops and demonstrations for groups by negotiation. Phone Ross for details 03 545 6320.
For more information about Plein Air Painting in the Nelson region see the following website: www.papon.co.nz
Ronette Pickering - Figure Drawing Classes
Term 2 2013
These classes will help you to develop your drawing skills using the human figure as the subject. They cater for both experienced students and those who have not done much drawing at all. You will be encouraged to:-
- develop your drawing skills using a range of media and tools to describe the human form
- refine your observational skills
- find your unique personal expression
Classes run throughout the year. In terms one and two the classes run for ten weeks and in terms three and four for nine weeks.
Fees; The fee for term one is $220 which covers the cost of paper, payment for the model, some additional materials when required and tea and coffee. Easels and drawing boards are also provided. You will need to bring your own drawing materials. You will receive a list of recommended materials when you enrol.
Term two start and finish dates
o Thursday 9 May– Thursday 11 July– 5.30pm – 8pm
o Friday 10 May– Friday 12 July– 10.00am – 12.30pm
Venue: Room 301, Creative Industries building, NMIT, Nile Street.
Enquiries and Registration: those currently enrolled have priority for the following term but there are some places available in each of the classes.
Contact: Ronette Pickering, 24a Kingsley Place, Richmond, Tasman 7020
Phone; 03 544 5039 or Mobile; 027 5445039 or email email@example.com
Kare Grayson MFA - Drawing classes for adults in Golden Bay
Ongoing weekly lessons, join any time.
Lessons tailored to students needs and interests. Gain a firm foundation in any art genre through developing drawing and design skills; learning to see clearly and immerse yourself in the creative process.
678 Abel Tasman Dr, Clifton/Pohara, Golden Bay.
Choose from the following class times or form a group to arrange a new regular time.
Tuesday 10 - noon
Saturday 1 - 3pm
Wednesday 6 - 8pm
Individual mentoring is also available for adults and teenagers to develop your own art projects.
$25 per week.
Call Kare Grayson 03 525 9128 to register.
Emma Panting, B.A.(Hons) P.G.C.E. (15 years teaching experience - 7 as a local art teacher)
I am a professional artist who works from my studio in rural Motupiko based at my historic Motupiko Hall home.
Please refer to my website to see examples of my work and course details.
Self-contained accommodation also available for Artist Retreats.Carol Peck - Drawing Classes in Motueka & Tapawera
Carol Peck - Motueka/Tapawera
Drawing for Beginners—Autumn Term
Autumn term May & June, Saturday or Thursday 1pm—4.30pm—9 weeks.
$300 per course. Venues: Motueka and/or Tapawera.
The ability to draw what you see is both empowering and very satisfying. For most of us drawing is a learned skill. The classes are fun, supportive and you will be amazed at how much you achieve. Step-by-step this innovative and original course reveals the artist within.
4-6 students only per class. Prior to the first class Carol will meet with you to discuss materials you will need to purchase/bring and leave you with a pre-class pack to whet your appetite and put you at ease.
Landscape for Beginners
Winter Term, August-September 2013, Saturday or Thursday afternoons, 1-4.0pm, 8 weeks
This course builds on your present drawing abilities and adds more!. Trees, clouds, estuaries, waves, rivers, mountains and rocks will each have their own in-depth session.
$300 per course. Venues Motueka & or Tapawera.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or ph 022 125 9530 to discuss these courses in pencil, charcoal and ink. Testimonials from delighted former students available. Courses are limited to only 4-6 students.
Photosensitive Screen Printing - with Lisa Grennell
Photo-Sensitive Screen-Printing - Workshops on request
10.30—4pm at 5 Rentone St, Nelson. Fee $380.00 (2 day workshops) $190.00 (1 day workshops). Contact Lisa at Ph 021031 8821 or email Grennell.email@example.com.
Mapua Painting Group
The Mapua Art Group meets every Thursday morning at the Mapua Hall to paint/draw and help each other in a fun and supportive environment, (please note this is not a teaching class).
Beginners through to professional are all encouraged to come along. Participants include oil, acrylic, watercolour and pastel artists ranging from figurative to landscape to still life.
Every Thursday morning 9am - 12.30pm, the Supper Room, Mapua Hall. $4 a session includes morning tea. Tables and chairs are provided and artists will need to bring their own materials and an easel if they wish to use one.
The last Thursday of each month, guest tutors run a workshop.
For more information contact Lisa Chandler 540 3933 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Term One at the Marlborough Art Society.
We do not have definite dates yet but we will be running a 2 day workshop "Design and paint your own silk scarf" and also a 2 day "Painting on silk - stage 11". There is also a "Scratchboard Art" workshop in the planning stage. These workshops are for adults and will probably be weekend events.
Two 2 day workshops with Maxine Thompson in April 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 is almost fully booked.
If requested there will be adult workshops in pastels and drawing for the beginner again catering for adults and being held over two days at weekends.
Weekly Classes (Resume in February)
- Monday Morning 10am watercolour
- Monday Afternoon 1pm - 3pm watercolour
- Tuesday Morning 9.30am Practical Explorations in Art
- Tuesday Afternoon 1pm - 3pm Drawing
- Wednesday 10am - 3.30pm The Pleasure of Mixed Media
- Thursday 10am Time Out On Thursday . Enjoying all mediums
- Friday 10am - 3pm Pastels with Prue
For further information and to register contact: Prue Matthews, Studio Convenor, Marlborough Art Society, High Street, Blenheim. Contact phone. (03) 5788 888 or Email PrudieM@xtra.co.nz
Youth Private Painting Classes
Classes for Youths aged 13 - 20 years
Email Rose at email@example.com for details of venue, fees etc.
YOUTH ART CLASSES
ART CLASSES WITH ARTIST LARISSE HALL
SUITABLE FOR 11 - 16YEAR OLDS
Thursdays 3.45pm - 4.45pm (Starting Thursday 14th February, from Larisse's art studio in Annesbrook)
Art classes focus on the development of individual style using various techniques, ranging from drawing studies through to sculpture work, encouraging creative thinking, in a relaxed and fun environment. With hands on demonstrations and examples, individuals develop skills such as composition, tone, form, scale, perspective and use of colour. My aim is to enable ones creative ability and to foster individual creative confidence with it!
$10 per session, with all materials supplied and an old T-shirt to protect clothing provided at each lesson.
Children's Art Classes
Art Classes for Children Aged 5 - 12 years
Classes are held in Wakefield.
Contact Rose firstname.lastname@example.org for details of venue, fees, etc.
A fun and creative approach to learning art for children 8-11 years. All media is covered and your child will learn various techniques in drawing, painting, printing and collage.
Tutor Catherine Kent is a professional artist who also teaches part-time.
Small classes of up to 8 students, to ensure adequate attention.
$10 per session and all materials are included; booking is essential!
Classes every Wednesday and Friday term time only, starting February 2013
Telephone 03 547 4883 to book.
Venue: Impressions Studio, (Access from Petrie Car Park) 11a Sundial Square , Richmond
Creative Childrens Art Classes with Jeana Packer
Jeana Packers Studio
13A Stafford Ave, Annesbrook, Nelson
Being creative, using imagination and learning good skills in Art is what my childrens art classes are all about. I am a trained art teacher with a purpose built studio to run children's art classes. I have a maximum of 8 students in each class and I'm passionate about encouraging confidence in a friendly environment. Children learn everything from drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking.
Days: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 4pm-5:30pm
Classes run for 8 weeks each school term.
After School Children’s Art Classes at Lori Davis Art School
Rutherford Cottage at Founders Park.
For children 5 to 15 years old, Thursdays and Fridays.
$10 per session. Afternoon tea and art materials supplied.
To register, contact Lori at Ph 027 5055225 or 545 7510 or email email@example.com. Look at classes www.loridavis.co.nz