Fine Art Supplies
Impressions carries an extensive range of artist supplies. From play paints for junior artists to 'professional' artist quality acrylics, oils, watercolours, designers gouache, drawing media including inks, charcoal, pastels and pencils to canvas, papers, easels, brushes, palettes, additives, mediums and varnishes – we cater for most artists' needs.
Impressions carries these reputable brands: -
Old Holland Oils - 30% off all paint in stock.
- Winsor & Newton
- Artist & Cotman Watercolours, Artist Oils, Artisan Watersoluble Oils, Griffin Alkyds, and Brushes
- Daler Rowney
- Artist and Georgian Watercolours, Oils and Brushes.
- Atelier and A2 Acrylics
- Derivan Matisse
- Derivan Artist & Matisse Professional Artist Acrylics, Gesso, Mediums and Varnishes
- and Oil Pastels
- Art Spectrum
- Mediums, Pastel Paper and Board, Pastel Primer, Pastel Sets, Oil Prime and Brushes
- Saunders Waterford
- Watercolour Paper
- Canson & Fabriano
- Watercolour and Pastel Papers
- Watercolour Papers
- Faber Castell & Derwent
- Drawing Media and Accessories
- Drawing Media
Extra Soft L'écu Pastels 30% off all pastels in stock
- Conté à Paris
- Sketching Crayons
Extra Soft Pastels
Rembrandt Soft Pastels
Unison Colour Soft Pastels
Impressions are proud to have been appointed the sole distributor for these lovely pastels in New Zealand. We are happy to supply artists throughout New Zealand. Equally we are happy to supply fine art supplies retailers who can then supply their own clientele.
We are delighted to stock a wide range of Golden Heavy Body and Fluid Acrylics together with the most popular grounds, mediums and varnishes. Golden Open Acrylics are being introduced to stock, and currently we have the most popular colours on the shelf.
Impressions carries a range of canvas, stretcher bars and heavy-duty stretching pliers: -
- DAS and Fredrix Canvas Panels
- DAS Professional, Exhibition and Studio Stretched Canvas
- Fredrix Watercolour Canvas - loose primed canvas, stretched and in pad
- Fredrix loose primed and unprimed canvas on roll and in pad
- Art Spectrum Lightweight and Heavy Duty Inter-locking Stretcher bars
- Museum Stretched Canvas hand-stretched in New Zealand
- Watercolour sheets by Arches, Saunders Waterford, Fabriano and Canson
- Watercolour Pads and Blocks including Arches, Art Spectrum, Fabriano, Daler Rowney Langton and Bockingford.
- Pastel Papers - Canson Mi-Teintes in pad and sheet, Art Spectrum Colourfix sanded and Suede paper sheets and NAS Black Series A3 Pads
- Sketch pads and visual diaries in white and black from A6 to A2 from 110 gsm
- Art Spectrum Draw and Wash papers in sheet and pads
- Mixed Media paper by Canson in packs and sheets, varying sizes.
- Velin Arches printmaking paper - 100% rag
Impressions stocks a standard range of easels comprised of tabletop, box, French, portable and studio easels.
We carry Flint water-based and oil inks for block printing. Accessories include lino blocks, both hard and soft brayer rollers, plus lino and wood-cutting tool sets.
We stock gold, silver and copper leaf and size. Gold and silver leaf are also available in imitation leaf.
Unison Soft Pastels
Impressions is delighted to announce that we have been appointed as the Distributor for Unison Soft Pastels in New Zealand. Our opening range will shortly be despatched from the UK, and we expect to introduce these to our stock ranges early in August.
Unison Colour began as a business in the early 1980s, when artist John Hersey found that mass-produced, factory made pastels simply did not offer the qualities he was looking for, and so he decided to make his own. Despite manufacturing over half a million individual sticks a year, Unison Colour's pastels retain all the handmade qualities of the originals. The 378 shades continue to be mixed to John's meticulous recipes and are based on the traditional pigments such as cadmiums, cobalts, and natural and synthetic earths. There is a colour guide [900KB PDF] available for you to download.
The difference in the manufacturing process, hand rolling rather than extrusion, gives Unison Colour Pastels a unique texture, delivering a consistency of response across the colour spectrum that is unmatched.
The colour relationships accommodate the brilliance and intensity of the sun, the dissolving of this intensity by the blueness of space and the mysterious darkness of earth. More than anything else, they take account of the movement or circulation of these elements and their changing effects on one another.
Merely adding black or white in a series of stepped tones, was never an option. The result is an intensity and fluency that artists love.
Pigment properties vary enormously, some needing a little binder, some none at all. The pigments are mixed to a thick consistency and spooned out in equal proportions onto sheets of absorbent paper until they are dry enough to handle. This drying time varies from pigment to pigment and can take from a few minutes up to 24 hours. Each pastel is then rolled and cut to length.
'The purpose is to realise the light. The heart of colour is light. The dance of light is colour. Like Blake's 'Whirlwind of Lovers' the colours are forever coming from, or moving towards some embrace and, for me, it is this movement that is so appealing and that embrace that is so astonishing'. John Hersey
Most months Impressions features a product or range of products, offering a generous extra discount for the duration of the month for Impressions Art Club Members. So it pays to keep in touch with what is happening and to join the Impressions Art Club.Contact us to request for further information or to place an order, which will be despatched to you by courier.